Aww, you want to know more about us? Take a look below, learn how we met, our mission statement for Studio Sequoia and take some time to get to know us a little more, everything from our favorite foods, movies and things we love to do in our spare time…..
In August of 2009 one of Kelley’s friends was getting married and needed a wedding photographer for the spring wedding, she knew she had to jump at the chance even though she had little experience and was not the greatest with the camera and It came out AMAZING! Not only was Kelley shocked and pleasantly surprised at how well it came out, the family of the bride and groom loved the photographs. In a crazy awesome way, it seemed like she found the perfect career because it incorporated her personality, style and artistic talent. It was FATE, and so Studio Sequoia was born.
Others have since joined the studio to work with Kelley on her mission to provide excellent wedding photography for an affordable price: There’s Kim, Iram and her wonderful brother Brian. All working as backups and second shooters to help make her dream a reality and to round out the Studio Sequoia family.
Our business, other than being affordable, must be friendly to our environment and it’s inhabitants…. we try to maintain as high of standards as possible in this, while being reasonable and understanding that we can’t have it all; there are probably flaws somewhere in our system… but for the most part, we try… We use rechargeable batteries for our flashes and cameras, we recycle or donate our old memory cards, we try not to needlessly purchase or throw away any portable hard drives or CDs , we use eco-friendly printers, All of our props are purchased from thrift stores or made from recycled materials, heck we even EAT eco-friendly (go veg)! Enjoy our photos, give us a call… I know you’ll be happy with your choice. Everyone has a story, let us tell it for you!
My background is in the finer arts, mostly painting… My bachelor’s degree is in Art History from the University of California, San Diego but honestly, I think I made more art at UCSD than I studied… and I studied A LOT of art! I have sold several pieces of art, locally and internationally, and have shown pieces in nasty coffee shops as well as high end art galleries. Art is a fickle business with lots of ups and downs, you kind of have to go with it and hope you hit the wave on an upswing. I am still waiting for the tide to rise…
After years of painting and never being able to make a go of it, I really wanted to learn photography. I needed something new, something to recharge my artistic batteries! So I bought a little Canon Rebel and started taking pictures… I never intended it to go anywhere! I had never been a real lover of photography before, I didn’t have the funds to become a “photographer”, I didn’t know anything about “photography”.. and it seemed like everyone and their mom was a photographer! Painting had always been where I stood out, with photography I was a tiny fish in a big pond… so I figured, at the very least, I would have photography as a way to inspire my painting… but, from shutter click number one, I loved it… instant art! I think it and I make it… and I could do it over and over and over again! In a spilt second I had gone from producing a single picture a year to producing thousands in a day, and I was addicted… and being a portrait painter always interested in people’s faces, I found a natural inclination to focus mostly on people… so was born event photographer Kelley…
- When Aaron of I discover a vintage camera in the thrift store we get super excited because that means a lot of night time photographing together around San Diego.
- Spending time with my husband Aaron is my favorite thing in the world, we like to take photographs together, aaron is a landscape style photographer, so we like to go around train stations, alleys and downtown in San Diego.
- Dahlias are my favorite flower, my husband Aaron was the first man ever to bring me flowers, to this day he still brings me flowers.
- I love to watch comedy shows like “Community” and “Parks and Rec”
- I went to France for my honeymoon and love it, I want to go back again, and maybe one day even live there!
- Painting is the love of my life, I have been painting since childhood.
- Jose Villa is a wedding photographer I stalk online, all the time.
- Those of you who know me, I always have a cup of coffee at my side, Starbucks in my neighborhood knows me by name.
- I left my heart in San Francisco, I love that town so much.
- If you ever want to take me to lunch, Pokez is my choice, their food is bomb.
- Camping is something I love to do, when i can find the time.
- Dresses, I love dresses, wearing them and getting to photograph brides wearing amazing gowns!
- Chocolate doughnuts…. enough said.
- I Love dogs, my girl is Izzy, she is the sweetest
- Glasses, I love them so.