Engagement sessions are my jam! It’s a chance have a great time and do something that’s totally unique and special to you as a couple… And it’s MY chance to get super out-of-the-box creative (which I’m sure any wedding photographer would love) and just go nuts!
So you may be thinking to yourself, “ok that’s wonderful and I want to explore the possibility of having a themed engagement session, but I have no idea what to do…” Well, here’s a list of 100 uniquely fun engagement session ideas! Some we’ve actually done and some we’ve only dreamed about, but all together a great list you should feel free to pull from if you’re lost on things to do with your insanely rad wedding photographer.
1. Put some furniture on the beach: Beaches can be boring, stick a couch or a cool chair out there!
2. Hang at your favorite park
3. Read books at the library or bookstore
4. Take a drive down the coast in a cool car (Of course stopping at a few different beaches)
5. Recreate your favorite album covers
6. Take a hike somewhere with a breathtaking view
7. Play basketball (write your date on the ball!)
8. Play baseball (stick your ring in some Cracker Jacks!)
9. Go to the arcade
10. Take it to the mall (everyone loves a goofy couple trying on hats and sharing an Orange Julius)
11. Become Art by recreating your favorite paintings
12. Goof off in a museum
13. Watch the fish in an aquarium (but avoid Sea World)
14. Go whale watching
15. Take a sail around the harbor
16. Fly a kite
17. Share a milkshake
18. Have a picnic
19. Climb a sand dune
20. Enjoy a s’more
21. Camp, camp, camp!
22. Mmmmmm doughnuts for a sunrise session would be awesome
23. COFFEE!! (cute things on the cups!)
25. Knotts Berry Farm
26. Can’t forget Six Flags!
27. Your local zoo
28. A public stable for the horse lovers
29. A simple stream makes for gorgeous stone skipping pics
30. Push each other in a swing
31. A visit to a lovely nursery
32. Enjoy the view from a tall building
34. Go to a concert
35. Have a candle-lit dinner
36. Stroll along a pier
37. Bikerides are always cute (and with all kinds of cute bikes too!)
38. Fly a plane
39. Take a helicopter ride
40. Depending where you live, gondola ride yo!
41. Go surfing!
42. Go back to school
43. Recreate your proposal story
44. Have a BBQ!
45. Chuck-E-Cheese has ball pits, skeeball and creepy animatronic animals.. everything you need!
46. One word… Canoe
47. Go fishing (ring on the hook!)
48. Recreate your favorite love pun (“we’re like peanut butter and jelly”)
49. Can’t get married at your dream spot, have your engagement session there!
50. National parks make for pretty sweet backdrops
51. City skylines also make for pretty sweet backdrops
52. Is it snowing? Then use it!
54. Harry Potter
55. Zombie love
56. Go shopping for some vinyl
57. Take a dip in a cool fountain
58. Enjoy the flowers in a botanical garden
59. Rock climbing
60. Hanging out at home (Bake some heart-shaped cookies)
61. Fourth of July (Hello sparklers!)
62. Get carried away by a bouquet of balloons (but please avoid using the movie “Up,” so sad!)
63. Share a stack of flapjacks
64. Dog everything
65. You could even bring along your cat (but that’s a little weird)
66. Your favorite romantic movie can always be turned into a theme
67. Yarn bomb a tree
68. Make a box castle (you know, like when you were a kid with fridge boxes)
69. Play with some paint
70. Children’s chalk can be ground up and turned into paint bombs
71. Brewery love
72. Also wineries are cool
73. Waterfalls are pretty sweet
74. Train tracks are too (but be careful you don’t get busted)
75. Iconic bridges are great from the underside
77. Tree farms and orchards
78. Open fields at sunset
79. Old hotels
82. Comic book reading
83. Roller rinks!
84. Ice skating rinks too!
85. Play soccer (color a heart on one of the white checks and kiss behind the ball!)
86. Chuck a football around (touchdown has just enough “o”s for a ring shot!)
87. Haunted (or just really old and abandoned) house or barn
88. Graffiti (maybe pick a spot where you wont get arrested)
89. Go shooting
90. My husband just suggested “murder a hobo”… but let’s just say “Dexter themed”
91. Nothing says “I love you” like thrifting and antiquing
92. Apple pick!
93. On the farm (so many hearts everywhere!)
94. The laundromat
97. Wildflower fields (March-May)
98. In a studio
99. Return to the spot where you met
100. In bed (with or without a crap ton of feathers or balloons to throw at each other)
Sadly, this list took me about 30 minutes to formulate… I have a TON of ideas for engagement sessions, it’s a thing I have going. When I get bored, I think of engagement sessions and white craftsman houses with red front doors… you know, priorities!
So if you ever want to pick my brain for ideas or schedule a session with me, please feel free to send me an email! I’m always here for you and I’ll make you look as amazing as your love.
I hope this finds all you lovebirds enjoying a happy week and a wonderful fresh engagement <3